Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Part Nine

This is the last in the series on retirement. What I tried to say in all these posts was there are many ways to generate a LITTLE EXTRA income to supplement your passive income without having to spend a huge amount of your savings. You could build a large amount of extra income if you were so inclined, that is if you want to spend all your spare time working. I thought that being retired was just that, retired and not having to work all that had even if you are now working for yourself. One does not have to spend their whole life working until they die.

For someone like myself this is something that I have a hard time trying to get through my thick head. It probably is because I have been self employed most of my life, and I have always enjoyed work and working. I enjoy the rush that I get from building a successful business.

The trouble with this is that even though I was self employed and had my own businesses it was always me that was trading my hours for money. Like most people I never built any business that would generate a passive income for me. Sure when I sold the business or stopped working the money stopped also.

My whole working life I went from Employee (working for someone) to self employed (working for myself) and never had the knowledge before now to be able to take the next step to building a business where I could generate a passive income.

I have been watching a couple of shows on tv lately, The Dragon's Den and The Shark Tank. These are shows about 5 people who have built huge businesses and are now taking their wealth and investing in small businesses. The small businesses must meet the Dragon's criteria before they will invest in an idea. Each year a lot of small business are helped by this group of business investors. The investors receive for their investment a passive income which continues as long as the the business operates.

Let us recap what we have learned:

EMPLOYEE
80% OF THE WORKING PEOPLE
SELF EMPLOYED

BIG BUSINESS
20% OF THE WORKING PEOPLE
INVESTMENT

For those of you that have not retired yet if you decide that you want to have a larger inflation proof passive income than you would receive from your pension then you had better learn some new skills to be able to accomplish this. You and only you will be able to accomplish what you want to accomplish, there is no one who can do it for you. Learn those new skills and become more prosperous.

With that in mind this is the last in this series on Retirement. Thank you for following this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.